Gain Life-long Leaderships Skills with the Pacific Student Leader Program
Video - credit: Markie Highstead (student)
Prefect | School Captain| Peer Leader | Community Leader another type of leader… or aspiring to be?
Join other young leaders on a week-long, advanced student leadership course hosted at different locations across the Pacific, having an adventure with new life-long friends
Future Leaders Academy lays the foundations in creating a leader who leads and inspires.
The courses are open to New Zealand, Australian and Pacific Nation Senior High School Students.
Drawn from military-inspired learning – we focus and build on the following:
Don’t forget to check out the FAQs for more information.
2 – 9 October 2021
Relocated to Bay of Islands
22-28 Jan 2022
(NZ students only)
Applications open soon
(Aus students only)
FIJI & TONGA
SOLOMON IS, SAMOA &
PAPUA NEW GUINEA
WHAT WILL I DO ON THE COURSE?
Meet your fellow students
Fly to your Pacific Island
Leadership skills workshop
Lead your team
Youth wellbeing insight
Immerse in the local culture
Formal course function
Final cultural activities
Fly to Akld
Farewell to fellow students
Frequently asked questions
Our next course is to Bay of Islands January 2022.
Each course runs for 7 days and we aim to hold at least 6 per year eg:
- Cook Islands | 2 – 9 October 2021 | NZ Students
- Norfolk Island | TBC | NSW & QLD Students
- Fiji & Tonga | TBC | NZ Students
- Solomon Island, Samoa & Papua New Guinea | TBC | NZ Students
Note that upcoming course dates and locations may be subject to change.
Locations can be anywhere across the Pacific, including but not limited to:
- Norfolk Island
- Cook Islands
- Bay of Islands
- Solomon Islands
There’s an online application form requiring:
- Basic contact information
- A personal statement telling us a little about yourself, your experience in leadership roles and why you want to do the course
One you’ve submitted your application it will be reviewed and we’ll let you know whether you’ve been successful or not. We’ll normally contact you within 2 weeks after applications close, but timelines can vary. Note that if you’re successful you’ll need to pay a deposit in order to secure your place.
The standard price including international flights, accommodation and food usually ranges from $2500 – $3000 depending on the destination, but keep an eye out for our Early Bird pricing. Note that if your application is successful, you’ll need to pay a deposit in order to secure your place, with the full balance due prior to attending. Payment dates for each course will be advised when your registration is confirmed. We accept online banking payments.
Costs for students from our host countries in the Pacific Islands is $100 to be paid at the beginning of the course.
See the next questions with info for help with course fees.
We are able to offer one scholarship per course to those who can demonstrate financial hardship. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further infortmation about how to apply.
Many of our students like to fundraise to help cover their course costs. Here are a few ideas for how to raise money:
- Approach your school: The skills you develop during the programme will help you succeed in your leadership role, so why not approach your Teacher, Careers Advisor, Dean or Principal to see if the school would be able to sponsor you.
- Use a crowdfunding website: Set up a Givealittle or PledgeMe webpage. Make sure you spread the word to reach as many people as possible! E.g. ask all your friends and family to share the link on social media.
- Contact a community organisation: Try your local RSA or Rotary Club as they often offer monetary support for courses like this.
- Offer your services: You could do small jobs or chores for your family and neighbours in return for a donation. E.g. cleaning, dog-walking, babysitting, weeding or mowing the lawns.
- International flights to and from the Pacific Island location
- Transport from the airport to the accommodation and back
- Hostel or dorm-style accommodation for the duration of the trip*
- All food and drinks during the trip (breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks)
- All programme materials (e.g. for activities and exercises)
FIJI - APRIL 2019
new people from NZ and
another country and learning
how to work as a team and push
our limits. It was amazing.”
AITUTAKI - FEB 2017
a course with Future Leaders, I
would 100% recommend it…Trust
me in saying that you will not
regret this opportunity!”